Return

Return to Countryville

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Lorrie Morgan Joins Joe Nichols on Broadway

feature

Lorrie Morgan photo courtesy of lorrie.com.

Aug. 4, 2009 — She's still working on her own her career, but Lorrie Morgan is now slated to be Joe Nichols' manager! Well, that's not quite right: Lorrie's character will manage Joe's character when she joins him next year in the Broadway remake of the George Strait movie Pure Country.
Joe had already been announced as Rusty, the singer George portrayed in the movie version, though the original name for the character was Dusty. Lorrie signed on in the Lesley Ann Warren role as Lula, the manager for a singer facing a crossroads at the height of his career.
"I auditioned for the part in New York and got the role," Lorrie told Country Weekly. "I wasn't even looking to do something like this, but I'm very excited about it."
As a result, both of the lead actors in the cast will be country stars who had no ambitions about the Great White Way.
"It's not somethin' I've alw ays had in mind," Joe admits. "I just never thought that I could pull off Broadway. I thought it was more the drama, theater kind of stuff, and I never did theater in high school. Never did. I kinda felt like I want to be a country singer."
Now, Joe and Lorrie get to do both. The news comes just as Dolly Parton's 9 To 5: The Musical wraps up its run at the Marquis Theater. The production, which received four Tony nominations, is expected to close after its Sept. 6 performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Return

Return to Countryville