Return

Return to Countryville

Friday, March 27, 2009

Clay Walker: Golf Keeps Him in the Swing

feature
Clay Walker photo courtesy of Curb Records.

March 27, 2009 — Clay Walker is just one of a long list of country performers who play golf regularly, but it might be as important for him as for any of them.
Clay was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1996, making it more essential than ever to stay in good physical shape. As it turns out, the exacting nature of the sport helps him keep in tune with what's going on in his body. It's part of the reason he says golf is his "favorite four-letter word."
"Golf has been a great barometer for where I am with the disease," he told Golf Digest. "If something is not exactly right, I can feel it in my golf swing immediately. I remember eight or nine years ago I was at Pebble Beach, playing in the AT&T. I had some trouble at the top of my back swing, a little electric shock. So I called my doctor. It was one of the things that prompted me to get on the medication Copaxone, a daily injection. I've been in remission ever since."
Golf is, Clay pointed out, less taxing on the joints than some other sports, such as softball, running or boxing. Plus, it gives him a reason to leave the hotel room or the concert hall when he's out on the road.
"As a musician, having a good pastime on the road is a great way to get a little bit of exercise and to get out and unwind after a concert the night before," he said. "I think a lot of musicians love to play golf for that reason; it's a beautiful distraction."
When Golf Digest ranked the top golfers in music last year, Clay came in at No. 20, ahead of such notable figures as Willie Nelson, Darius Rucker, Glen Campbell and George Strait. Country and bluegrass stars in the Top 10 included: Dan Tyminski, No. 9; Larry Gatlin, No. 8; Steve Gatlin, No. 7; Steve Azar, No. 5; Vince Gill, No. 4; Diamond Rio's Marty Roe, No. 3; and Rudy Gatlin, No. 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Return

Return to Countryville