Return

Return to Countryville

Monday, March 16, 2009

Blake Shelton Celebrates Successes

From Tennessean staff writer Cindy Watts:
Blake Shelton wears an almost permanent smirk, but Friday he was smiling ear to ear. Not only did the country singer celebrate the success of his second (and back-to-back) multi-week No. 1, "She Wouldn't Be Gone," with a party at BMI, but he was also presented with a gold record (500,000 copies sold) for his CD Pure BS.
The song's writers, Cory Batten and Jennifer Adan, were on hand for the festivities, as well as more than 200 of their friends and family. Those in the crowd included baseball great Barry Bonds, Steve Wariner and songwriting mastermind Jeffrey Steele. "She Wouldn't Be Gone" is Blake's fifth No. 1, and Cory and Jennifer's first.
"It's a huge deal," Blake says. "I've never had back-to-back No. 1s before. I've been lucky enough to get my hands on a couple of great songs, and that's been my saving grace all along. It's kept my career going, and this time it happened back to back. Luckily, I'm starting to think like everyone else. When I pick a song, it seems to be the same things country fans are into."
But with success comes added pressure, Blake says.
"Right now is the most pressure I've ever felt," the singer says. "It's one thing when people high five you in town and say, 'All right, you're back.' This turns heads more. Now is my time to showcase what I think I can do overall, and not just time to find another No. 1 song. It's time to grow up, I guess."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Return

Return to Countryville